Basic Driver Improvement (BDI4) – Florida Traffic Ticket Class
This Florida Traffic School basic driver improvement course has been approved by the State of Florida for point reduction, and may be court ordered by a Florida Judge. The course may also be required for traffic infractions related to Red Light conviction or passing of a stopped School Bus.
This four (4) hour basic driver improvement course is available online or in a classroom and offers Florida drivers from any county an alternative tp points:
- Improve Driving Skills.
- Withhold court judgment.
- Keep points off of Florida driver license.
- Maintain “safe driver” status.
- May prevent car insurance premium from going up.
- You can choose to attend a driver improvement course once in any 12-month period and no more than 5 times in a lifetime.
The Basic Driver Improvement 4 hour course may also be taken as a volunteer for a possible insurance rate discount. Verify discount requirements with your insurance company.
This basic driver improvement course may be court-ordered by a judge in the State of Florida.
Detach the court copy and either mail or hand deliver it to the Clerk of Court's office in the County where the ticket/citation was issued. It is your responsibility to provide the court with a copy of your completion certificate by your due date. Keep the student copy for your own records.
Save money with our Florida Traffic Ticket Class! No Hidden Fees, No Additional Costs! Other schools charge $34.95 and up, or advertise a price with add on fees.
Who Should Attend Basic Driver Improvement
You must complete a Basic Driver Improvement course (Traffic Collision Avoidance Course) if you want to retain your driver license in the following circumstance:
• You were a driver in a crash and are found at fault and someone was transported to the hospital or
• You had two crashes in a two-year period, which resulted in property damage greater than $50 or
• You are convicted of running a red light or
• You were convicted of passing a school bus when it displays a stopped signal or
• You were convicted of racing on highway
If you receive a ticket for a non-criminal moving violation, and you do not hold a commercial driver license, you may elect to attend a basic driver improvement course in lieu of points on your driving record.
In some cases, you may choose to attend a basic driver improvement course to receive insurance discounts. This discount is solely at the discretion of your insurance company.
Goal of BDI4 Course
This four (4) hour Florida Traffic Ticket course is DHSMV approved within the state of Florida to teach defensive driving techniques, behaviors, and attitudes to individuals who have received a traffic ticket / citation; or to individuals who voluntarily take the Basic Driver Improvement course to improve their defensive driving knowledge and skills. Our Basic Driver Improvement 4-hour course is approved by the State of Florida.
- Driver and Traffic Knowledge.
- Driving Risk Control.
- Vehicle Control and Procedures.
- Driver and Traffic Exposure.
- Traffic Perceptual Skills.
- Driving Environment.
This Florida Traffic School class consists of a four (4) hour class session conducted by an instructor certified by the Florida Safety Council. Live classroom Basic Driver Improvement classes are interactive and include lecture, videos and student class discussion of traffic situations, and driving experiences.
Electing to Attend Traffic School
Drivers with a Class A, B, or C license, or drivers charged with exceeding the speed limit by more than 30 mph may not make an election under this subsection. If, as a result of a moving violation, you elect to attend and complete a basic driver improvement course, you will receive the following benefits:
1. Your insurance rates cannot go up and your policy cannot be cancelled because of this violation, unless this involved a crash where you were at fault.
2. Points may not be added to your driver license record, adjudication of guilt is withheld, safe driver status is maintained if applicable. You may not make an election under this subsection if you have made this election in the preceding 12 months. A person may make no more
than five elections in a lifetime. To determine if you are eligible to make an election to attend traffic school, check our web site at www.flhsmv.gov.
Within 30 days from the date you received the traffic citation and prior to attending class, you must:
1. Inform the Clerk of Court in the county where you received the citation that you want to go to traffic school, and
2. Pay an election fee to the Clerk of Court in the county where you received the citation.
Basic Driver Improvement Registration
Florida Safety Council makes registration for the Basic Driver Improvement ( BDI4 ) class and other traffic classes easy with both online and live classes available.
Registration offices are located in Clermont, Orlando, Kissimmee, Casselberry, Merritt Island, and Melbourne.
Students are asked to provide a copy of the court order, Citation, or DHSMV referral letter in order to insure the correct information is listed and the proper agencies are notified of attendance. For the online traffic school class, the citation or ticket number will be needed
The cost of attending the live Basic Driver Improvement course includes and there are no hidden fees or additional cost.
- All traffic school materials needed
- State Fee of $3.00
- No sales tax charged
- No Certifcate Fee
Need Your Online BDI-4 Course Certificate Fast?
Take our course Online. Your certificate is available for download after you have completed the course and passed the test.
The Florida Safety Council is a not-for-profit organization! The Florida Safety Council provides the highest quality safety education training at an affordable price while NEVER charging hidden fees.